OP3FT中国 is the Chinese local branch that the OP3FT is currently setting up in Beijing. Its role consists in the promotion, protection and progress of the Frogans technology in China.
On this Web site, you can learn about OP3FT中国's mission regarding the Frogans technology and the current status of OP3FT中国's development. You will also find a brief introduction to Frogans as a medium. We also suggest several ways for you to get involved.
Last update: January 28, 2019.
Introduction to OP3FT中国
OP3FT中国 is the local branch that the OP3FT is currently setting up in China. The OP3FT (Organization for the Promotion, Protection and Progress of Frogans technology) is a Standards Developing Organization (SDO) whose purpose is to hold, promote, protect and ensure the progress of the Frogans technology in the form of an open standard for the Internet, available to all, free of charge.
OP3FT中国 will be a WFOE (Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise) and will eventually include a Chinese team of 15 to 20 people. Its work will be defined by the OP3FT and it will have operational autonomy. In order to ensure proximity with Internet standardization and regulation bodies, and with major technological universities, OP3FT中国 will be based in Beijing.
What we want to do
The mission that the OP3FT has entrusted to OP3FT中国 is to promote and develop Frogans technology in China, in compliance with the OP3FT's Bylaws. The OP3FT中国's mission will be carried out by a local team, which will make sure that Frogans technology is well-suited to usage requirements and to regulation of the Internet in China.
OP3FT中国’s participation in the production of Frogans technology will involve, among other things:
- doing research and development
- drafting technical specifications
- producing source code
- carrying out tests
- drafting documentation
- drafting policies and contracts
For more information, see the original document presenting the OP3FT 中国 project, published in June 2016.
What we have accomplished so far
As of December 3, 2018, the OP3FT has:
- Selected the legal form of OP3FT中国: a WFOE.
- Defined OP3FT中国’s business model: OP3FT中国 will be financed by producing elements of the Frogans technology and selling them to the OP3FT.
- Entrusted Jérôme Delacroix, Head of local branch development of the OP3FT. His mission is to lead OP3FT中国’s opening and startup, and then to support OP3FT中国’s future director in his/her relationships with the OP3FT.
- Drawn up a three-year + provisional business plan for OP3FT中国, designed to ensure its long-term existence.
- Selected Chinese law firm JunHe for legal assistance. With JunHe, the OP3FT defined the overall legal engineering of the project.
- Presented the Frogans technology and the OP3FT中国 project to official bodies and sought their advice.
- Pursued its 2013 commitment to a structured approach for monitoring and understanding the ecosystem and regulation of the Internet in China. This will be achieved through documentary research, requests to local experts, and participation in various events in 2016, 2017, and 2018, such as the China Internet Conference in Beijing, and Hong Kong Arbitration Week.
- Launched a collaborative innovation project with the École Centrale de Pékin. The project involves engineering students who will design advanced human-computer interaction using the Frogans technology.
The OP3FT is currently investigating various financial arrangements for funding both OP3FT中国's start-up costs and its operating expenses. The OP3FT continues to build a network of contacts who could provide assistance in setting up and developing OP3FT中国, managing administrative and legal matters, recruiting its employees, and with purely practical considerations.
Frogans, a new medium
Frogans is a new medium for publishing content and services on the Internet in the form of Frogans sites. From a technical standpoint, this medium is designed just like the World Wide Web: it is a generic software layer running on top of the original Internet infrastructure.
Frogans as a medium is intended to be complementary to the World Wide Web, and not to replace it, just like instant messaging was not intended to and did not replace E-mail as a medium for exchanging messages on the Internet.
Compared to the World Wide Web, the new medium is intended to suggest publishing content and services which involve visual rather than text-based communication, focused content rather than long pages, and natural interaction rather than complex user interfaces.
Frogans sites can be used to publishing any kind of content and services, from shopping for shoes to checking bank balances.
Presentations to official bodies
In 2017 and 2018, on a number of occasions, the OP3FT discussed the Frogans technology and the OP3FT中国 project with various Chinese official bodies, notably:
- the Internet Society of China (中国互联网协会)
- the Computer Network Information Center (中国科学院计算机网络信息中心) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (中国科学院)
- the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (中国信息通信研究院).
How you can get involved
You can get involved right now:
- To take part in OP3FT中国’s missions or to obtain additional information, contact Jérôme Delacroix, Head of local branch development at the OP3FT: jerome (dot) delacroix (at) op3ft (dot) org
- To keep abreast of important news about the Frogans project and of progress in the creation of OP3FT中国, subscribe to the Announcement mailing list (information in English)
©2012-2019 OP3FT - Legal information